Re: ASM vs VxVM/VxFS

From: CC <ccarson_at_syrrx.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2005 08:47:05 -0800

One reason would be from a support standpoint. With ASM you are only dealing with Oracle and your OS vendor. By throwing Veritas in the mix you are adding a 3rd element. I personally think Veritas is overpriced and not worthwhile. I have been using their netbackup, foundation suite and database edition products for about 10 years and have just seen more problems than benefits. (most recently when about 2 TB of volumes were corrupted in a 3.5 to 4.0 upgrade which was tracked down and listed as a bug in libasl.)

I am just starting to use ASM myself so I can't really say how robust it is. Also, remember, not using ASM doesn't mean you have to use Veritas.

For me is has become a situation of KISS (keep it simple stupid). Over the years I have learned to keep things as simple as possible. This will reduce daily maintenance overhead, yearly recurring support costs, and a much simpler disaster recovery.

Just my personal opinion. I have seen support costs for Veritas that exceeded the total cost of supporting the hardware and OS itself. To me that is just plain silly. (especially when most of the features come standard in many UNIX's already) Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 10:47:05 CST