Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:48:27 +1100

Mark A apparently said,on my timestamp of 3/03/2005 8:55 PM:

> But the original statement was that going from DB2 for UNIX to DB2 for
> Windows was like going from DB2 for UNIX to Sybase. That is completely
> incorrect if your are a DBA or a programmer. There is almost no difference
> from a DBA perspective between using DB2 for UNIX and DB2 for Windows, other
> than operating system specifics.

That is entirely correct and I can vouch for it as well.

> You analysis of the how DB2 spawns subprocesses is irrelevant to 99% of
> DBA's and is not related to operational tasks of a DBA.

It's not db2 that spawns the subprocess, it's that CLI-thing or whatever it is called now. About time someone with minimal knowledge of Unix and Posix process control reviewed that code...

> There are some major differences (from a DBA perspective) between DB2 for
> Linux, UNIX, and Windows and the other DB2's (AS/400, z/OS, VM), but at the
> DML level they are fairly close.

Again, mostly agreed.
I do contend however that a DBA cares not much about DML: they mostly deal with DDL. So for them there are some MAJOR diffs. Nothing unsurmountable though, I admit.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto