Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 3 Mar 2005 14:30:37 -0800

Mark A wrote:
> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
[]
> > Fact is: the code IS different and BEHAVES different.
> > Nuff said.
> >
> There are some differences in the interaction with the operating
systems.
> But []
> You analysis of the how DB2 spawns subprocesses is irrelevant to 99%
of
> DBA's and is not related to operational tasks of a DBA.
>
> There are some major differences (from a DBA perspective) between DB2
for
> Linux, UNIX, and Windows and the other DB2's (AS/400, z/OS, VM), but
at the
> DML level they are fairly close.

It's that "fairly close" phrase that would bother me if I was making this choice.

 At the DML level, ORACLE just seems to operate exactly the same. A query I test in MS Windows will work without change in LINUX. Now performance may differ, but the programming logic in the application is the same.

So by "fairly close" does that mean a query written on windows DB2 will change "slightly" in order to run on AIX DB2??

Just wondering,
  Ed Received on Thu Mar 03 2005 - 16:30:37 CST