Re: Infinite loop on JRE for database configuration assistant

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:45:18 +0100

ed.bryant_at_stellent.com wrote:
> Over the last few days I've tried to install Oracle 8.1.7, 9.2, 10 in
> various ways and flavours and they all hang on install.
>
> I currently have 9.2 software only successfully installed. When I run
> the database configuration wizard, the system goes into an infinite
> loop after you hit next on the first screen. Services.exe is at 85% and
> the JRE is at 15%. Leave it running overnight... still spinning in the
> morning. Never any response.
>
> System is Window XP Professional SP2. 1.5 GB RAM, GB's of free disk
> space, etc. I've seen this as a networked user with admin permission, a
> local user with admin permission, and as administrator on the box.
>
> I've googled around and other than some similar problems on linux, I
> can't find any pointers to a solution.
>
> Anybody got any great ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed.

I don't think it's the P4 problem, since that only applies to 8i, but you say you fail on the others, too.

If that's in any way possible, I'd install XP from scratch (to be really sure that there is nothing from your failed installations left) patch it up to SP2, *don't* install any AV software and turn of the firewall for the duration of the installation of O.

Mind you, it might even suffice to turn off the firewall for the duration of the dbca session.

HTH
Holger Received on Thu Mar 03 2005 - 02:45:18 CST