Re: Backup Tool Alternative to RMAN and BMC's SQL Backtrack

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:49:45 -0800

Charles J. Fisher wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Unless your organization runs without hardware, database, and
>>application support for a line-of-business application my guess is that
>>the cost of the support contracts, if you can get them, are higher than
>>the cost of migrating. That would be one "good" reason. The second would
>>be that your resume ... "expert on Oracle 7" and $2.50 won't get you a
>>tall latte' at Starbucks. I would think you would have a vested
>>self-interest in working with something current to the present
>>millenium.

> We've become rather cavalier as we sail into the sunset sans vendor
> support.
>
> We are certainly not alone in this approach. Just look at all the HP3000
> MPE/iX people. Homesteading is a viable gamble from a corporate perspective.
>
> I am also neither so selfish nor so irresponsible as to perform major
> surgery on my architecture for the sole benefit of my resume.

I wouldn't suggest that you do. I was merely pointing out that you might have a vested self-interest in helping the company move forward if, in fact, you were the one screaming stop stop I don't want to learn anything new: Glad that isn't the case.

So the question perhaps should be restated ... given your vested self-interest, and their intrangigence, why are you still there?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington