Re: Backup Tool Alternative to RMAN and BMC's SQL Backtrack

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:49:07 GMT

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, DA Morgan wrote:

> Unless your organization runs without hardware, database, and
> application support for a line-of-business application my guess is that
> the cost of the support contracts, if you can get them, are higher than
> the cost of migrating. That would be one "good" reason. The second would
> be that your resume ... "expert on Oracle 7" and $2.50 won't get you a
> tall latte' at Starbucks. I would think you would have a vested
> self-interest in working with something current to the present
> millenium.

We've become rather cavalier as we sail into the sunset sans vendor support.

We are certainly not alone in this approach. Just look at all the HP3000 MPE/iX people. Homesteading is a viable gamble from a corporate perspective.

I am also neither so selfish nor so irresponsible as to perform major surgery on my architecture for the sole benefit of my resume.

p.s. I would also hire someone who knows Oracle 7 cold before I'd hire a

     fresh 9i/10g OCA/OCP.

   / Charles J. Fisher    | "Fascism should more properly be called          /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org  |  corporatism, since it is the merger of state   /
 /   http://rhadmin.org   |  and corporate power." -- Mussolini            /