Re: Backup Tool Alternative to RMAN and BMC's SQL Backtrack

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:37:28 -0800

Charles J. Fisher wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>You are doing your employer a huge disservice. And likely some day they
>>will find out they have an expensive dinosaur and replace him with a 25
>>year old for half-the cost and twice the value.
>>In other words ... reconsider.

> This is another conversation entirely... should a functional, stable
> clustered Oracle 7 system be ripped out and replaced for NO GOOD REASON?
>
> No 25-year-old is ripping out Entera, a home-grown queueing system, HP-UX
> 10.20 and Oracle 7. It would take several blank checks for ME to do it,
> which is why it will not be done.
>
> Oracle 7 provided the "Enterprise Backup Utility" (pre RMAN) - I should
> hoist that on you for good measure.

> / Charles J. Fisher | A bad design with a good presentation is doomed /
> / cfisher_at_rhadmin.org | eventually. A good design with a bad /
> / http://rhadmin.org | presentation is doomed immediately. /

Unless your organization runs without hardware, database, and application support for a line-of-business application my guess is that the cost of the support contracts, if you can get them, are higher than the cost of migrating. That would be one "good" reason. The second would be that your resume ... "expert on Oracle 7" and $2.50 won't get you a tall latte' at Starbucks. I would think you would have a vested self-interest in working with something current to the present millenium.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington