Re: Would be really nice if...

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:30:45 +0100

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:50:11 +0100, Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>kirtan wrote:
>> Using the same logic,
>> 'select * from t' would also break any application if an alter table
>> has been done to it.
>> This would happen where the columns are being retrieved by position and
>> not by name.
>> But ain't this feature still there?!
>>

>Correct - it is known as A Bad Habit (tm).
>ROT: Always specify the column list.

As a ROT I agree, but I happily code the following in PL/SQL for a table with a lot of columns:

cursor c_cur is select * from tabble;
r_cur c_cur%rowtype;

and use r_cur everywhere it is needed.

This provides better readable and modifyable code than code where you have to plow through loads of column specifications.

Jaap. Received on Sat Feb 26 2005 - 04:30:45 CST