Re: Problem authenticating OS user as DBA even after granting DBA role

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:34:28 +0100

On 26 Feb 2005 02:01:31 -0800, "rishib4u_at_gmail.com" <rishib4u_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>hi everyone,
>i recently tried installing Oracle 8i database server on my system
>Windows 2000 Pro + P-III1.13Ghz + Intel815chipset. Installed as System
>Administrator (i.e. gave the DBA privileges to my Administrator
>account), but the problem is that when i issue -> sqlplus "/ AS Sysdba"
>at the command prompt it says insufficient privileges. My motherboard
>doesn't have a LAN card (i don't know if that may be a concern) but
>when i tried to install the server on a Windows 2000 machine at my
>office with the LAN card disabled (in an attempt to make it seem like a
>standalone machine) it ran successfully and readily allowed the system
>Administrator account as a DBA to login without a username/password. i
>can't figure out where something is going wrong on my home pc.
> Please give me your feedback and insight regarding any known issues
>with Oracle 8i, LAN card or Pentium III processors. For any suggestions
>with regards to a successful workaround for installing and running the
>database with OS authenticated DBA feel free to mail me.
>thanks,
>rishi.

did you

- read the installation manual
- installed Oracle as *local* administrator
- verified you have a NT user group called oradba
- verified you have a line reading

   sqlnet.authentication_services=(nts)
   in sqlnet.ora

Just a few things you could have tried before starting to hunt for non-existing probems.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA