Re: New IBM Nonsense

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:20:36 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> Someone else is going to do it soon or later so I'll beat them to it.
>>
>> http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/benchmarks/111704.html
>>
>> And if you believe what you just read ... take a good look at the small
>> print at the bottom of the page.
>>
>> DB2 was run on:
>> DB2 UDB on IBM eServer p595 (64-way Power5 1.9GHz):
>> DB2 UDB on IBM eServer p570 16P (16-way Power5 1.9GHz)
>>
>> While Oracle was run on:
>> HP Integrity rx5670 Cluster 64P (16 x 4-way Intel Itanium2 6M 1.5GHz)
>> Unisys ES7000 Aries 420 Ent. Server (16-way Intel Itanium2 1.5GHz)
>>
>> Wow ... I guess IBM is saying a Power5 at 1.9GHz is equivalent to an
>> Itanium2 at 1.5GHz: I don't think so.
>>
>> Only one citation is for identical hardware and there isn't enough
>> information to make a comparison meaningful. I'm thinking IBM is afraid
>> of a true head-to-head comparison or they wouldn't have had to stoop so
>> low.

> Pre-emptive trolling.. way to go...

Actually no. The very first post was made in comp.databases.oracle by a shill for IBM which is where I saw it. If you folks hadn't lobbed the first grenade no one would have shot back.

> Oracle wants its customers to rip out their Unix boxes and replace them
> with RAC, claiming that it's cheaper. Also Oracle claims it can scale
> limitless.

Perhaps true ... I don't work for Oracle. But they don't say "Rip out your fantastically fast P5's with AIX 5.2+ and replace them with whimpy Itanium2's and some unknown o/s.

Want to try that against RAC on the same hardware with the same o/s and see what happens? Want to try that with a realistically sized database instead of something so small as to almost qualify for 3x5 cards?

Cheers to you-all too.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington