Re: New IBM Nonsense

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:08:20 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Someone else is going to do it soon or later so I'll beat them to it.
>
> http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/benchmarks/111704.html
>
> And if you believe what you just read ... take a good look at the small
> print at the bottom of the page.
>
> DB2 was run on:
> DB2 UDB on IBM eServer p595 (64-way Power5 1.9GHz):
> DB2 UDB on IBM eServer p570 16P (16-way Power5 1.9GHz)
>
> While Oracle was run on:
> HP Integrity rx5670 Cluster 64P (16 x 4-way Intel Itanium2 6M 1.5GHz)
> Unisys ES7000 Aries 420 Ent. Server (16-way Intel Itanium2 1.5GHz)
>
> Wow ... I guess IBM is saying a Power5 at 1.9GHz is equivalent to an
> Itanium2 at 1.5GHz: I don't think so.
>
> Only one citation is for identical hardware and there isn't enough
> information to make a comparison meaningful. I'm thinking IBM is afraid
> of a true head-to-head comparison or they wouldn't have had to stoop so
> low.

Pre-emptive trolling.. way to go...
Oracle wants its customers to rip out their Unix boxes and replace them with RAC, claiming that it's cheaper. Also Oracle claims it can scale limitless.
Well...
Let's assume the 3.2M TpmC are not from DB2, but only from the hardware. The current #7 and #8 results (p690 on Oracle and DB2) were run as apples to apples as it ever gets. Let's assume Oracle scales at least as well on SMP as DB2 (IBM claims 99% scalability for DB2 in the article). Extrapolating from there Oracle could also be expexted to achieve the same result as DB2 at comparable price using the same metrics. So... where is RAC on Intel cheaper? Would a 48 node RAC x4way CPUs achieve the same result? What would it cost? Will the interconnects hold up?

Cheers
Serge

PS: Anyone know why RAC logs so much?

--