Re: New IBM Nonsense

From: <thu.nnguyen_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2005 16:14:45 -0800

Mark Townsend wrote:
> thu.nnguyen_at_gmail.com wrote:
>

> > There is a TPC-C result running on identical Power5 hardware (8 way
p5
> > 570). You can check it out at www.tpc.org. It shows DB2 result is
> > ~430k and Oracle is at ~370k tansactions /minute. DB2
significantly
> > faster.
> >

> You may want to look at the differences in the disk environment
between
> the two 'apples to apples' configurations. The IBM result used at
least
> 20% more spindles than the Oracle result. It also had at least 30%
> more clients driving the backend. This may explain why the IBM result

> was 15% faster.

What are you driving at? IBM is delibately crippling the Oracle result? Somehow I doubt it. I'm guessing its just a case of DB2 being more optimized and therefore faster for the AIX/Power5 system. As for more clients/spindle .. well if the system can handle it, they would need more clients/spindles. Adding more spindles/clients to a system already running at near 100% CPU load would not get you a higher TPC-C result. Received on Sat Jan 22 2005 - 18:14:45 CST