Oracle Schemas for our Informix App

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:27:36 -0900

We are redeveloping our Informix app in Oracle.

The app has 3 identical databases (production, test, and development) in a single Informix instance (Informix sense of "instance"). Each database has 1000 tables and 1000 stored procedures.

Since Oracle connects to only a single database at a time, to avoid having to use multiple instances (Oracle sense of "instance") of Oracle, we could, for each of the current databases, just use distinct Oracle Schemas within a single Oracle database. Does this sound reasonable? The system catalog for the single database with three schemas would then have 6000 tables and stored procedures, plus (guessing) another 6000, or more, indexes, since each table has at least one index.

I suppose the alternative is to run three separate instances of Oracle, to connect to three separate databases.

I'm at the view from a 100,000 feet stage. :-)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Regards,

DG

--
David Grove

"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.