Re: Oracle Schemas for our Informix App

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2005 11:37:54 -0800

Normally, I would expect to have separate unit test, system test, and production databases so that the patches and upgrades can be applied to the unit test environment before being applied to production and then system test. This provides a means of stress testing the upgrade binary before production becomes dependent on it.

If you keep everything in one database then you upgrade everything at once and have no fallback other than backing everything off. Even if your application encounters problems with a new release you can usually continue to work with it in test while you wait for the fix without impact to your production environment when separate databases exist for test, system test, and production.

Also three separate databases provide more security flexibility and control over the production database than would be likely in a single database environment.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jan 20 2005 - 13:37:54 CST