Re: Need SQL Server Temp Table equivalent (challenge!)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Jan 2005 14:30:34 -0800

(Do you realize you replied to an old thread?)

> Oracle just seems to make things hard
> that don't need to be.

I agree. However, since SQL Server cannot scale up like Oracle, there are a number of situations where simpler becomes much harder - all of a sudden, when you've already put it in production.

Like PC's in general, you have to decide if being small is going to limit you in the future.

In the business/software world, I've had a lot of work integrating newly bought companies into existing companies. You see, the company that had the strategic foresight to implement a scalable solution can buy companies that didn't, on the cheap. Leaving those small developers to complain a lot.

Big developers can develop solutions that run on multiple databases. Perhaps not as good as rdbms specific solutions, but often workable, if technically inglorious.

Grow or die in the business world. Larry has recognized where the growth is.

Personally, I would prefer a culture of craftmanship, but that isn't where the growth is.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Cojones: