Re: Oracle Forms Alternatives ...??

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:19:05 -0800

Digicelt wrote:

> I'm about to start retraining from into Oracle, and can't decide on the
> DBA vs Developer role. As I'm already the latter for SQL Server, am
> leaning that way, but also need to learn forms/reports, and no way(!)
> am I going to buy the IDS Suite to do so ...
>
> Question is this ... what's the most COMMON non-IDS route for
> implementing forms used with Oracle? A friend suggested ColdFusion ..
> is this worth learning in conjunction with Oracle for the job market
> ...?

You seem to hold beliefs based on inaccurate information.

If you want a copy of iDS for learning purposes: 1. go to otn.oracle.com and download it
or
2. go to http://store.oracle.com and purchase the CD pack

    for less than $100 USD.

There is a near zero relationship between what a SQL Server DBA does and that of an Oracle DBA and the knowledge and skills required to do both jobs. I suspect you really know very little about Oracle and therefore suggest you follow the developer track as no-one that gives the impression you have would stand much of a chance getting a DBA job.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington