Re: Server help/recommendations

From: cartwrij <cartwright_james_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2005 07:06:08 -0800

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately we're not sure exactly how we're going to be importing the files. We need to look at some third party tools to see if they'll work, or we might need to build one. We'll be importing a wide variety of files - emails, audio, video, etc. They'll be stored in a shared folder. From that shared folder we need to grab the file, and grab any relevant data from it to use as metadata - then we'll populate the relevant tables (storing the file as a BLOB). Not sure if there any apps already built out there that we can use and just tweak to import into our database, or if we'll just need to build our own.

This process will occur every day. With data being indexed and then filtered based on user criteria for later review. They'll keep the data for about 10 days and then purge.

We'll need both horsepower and high availability. I'm not sure yet what they want more. I'm trying to get a general feel for the trade-offs between going from one solution to the other.

Thanks! Received on Mon Jan 10 2005 - 09:06:08 CST