Re: newbie needs help running old oracle 8i code. procedure? function?

From: Noel <tomekb_at_s_o_f_t_m_a_n.pl>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:42:42 +0100

Dnia 1/4/2005 4:46 PM, Użytkownik bbcrock_at_hotmail.com napisał:
> Please help me identify this code! I am a web developer with limited
> Oracle knowledge.

It produces some sql statetments based on catalog tables. For me it looks like teplates to produce specific select/update/insert/delete statetments to any table in schema.

 > I'm running Oracle 8.1.7. This code was created by
> another developer we had on staff to build a text file from Oracle
> metadata. I can't figure out where it's supposed to be saved- is this
> a procedure? Function? It was meant to be a proc, but I run into
> errors when I try to compile it. I run into errors cutting and pasting
> the code in SQL Plus and TOAD.

Both needs '/' at the end, if you put that it should compile (run) without errors.
If you want a procedure from that code, you need add 'CREATE PROCEDURE <name>' before code, then remove 'DECLARE' from code and add '/' at the end.

  Our Oracle DBA had excellent
> maintenance skills, but he can't figure out what this is missing. Can
> any one of you tell me what this needs to run correctly in SQLPlus or
> to be compiled as a proc or function I can call? If all I need is a
> link to an online tutorial, that is cool.

You need to turn on serveroutput by sql*plus command: SET SERVEROUTPUT ON
> vOwner VARCHAR2(100) := 'Schema100';

If you change 'Schema100' to any existing user you see what that pl/sql block produces..
I advance you to log onto TIGER user (with tiger default password), create a table, then run this pl/sql block.

--
Noel