Re: Exporting a table from Microsoft Access to Oracle gives error ORA 972

From: <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2004 19:41:45 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > I am using Microsoft Access 2000 and Oracle 9.2.0.5 on Windows
2000.
> > When I export a table from Access to Oracle using ODBC
> > I get error:
> > ORA 972 identifier too long
> >
> > I think the error is because one or more columns in Access table
> > are longer than 30 characters. My question is how one can overcome
this
> > problem.
> >
> > I also see several column names which have /, ? or spaces in name
> > but I think Oracle somehow takes care of that by putting names
inside
> > quoted string? I am just guessing, I am new to Access to Oracle
> > mapping.
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated? Is there anyway I can
> > create a table in oracle with 30 characters max long name
> > and then map them to Access long names somehow?
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > Prem
>
> Rename the columns.
>
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

Thanks, If you are suggesting renaming columns in Access I inherited Access
from someone and many queries/forms/reports have already been written. I am moving Access tables into Oracle, however, Access front End will still be used.

I would think that I can somehow rename original Access Table, rename its column names so table can be exported in Oracle. I can then link Oracle table in Access. I should then be able to create a view using Create query.
View Name will be name of original Access Table and Columns Names original column name.

Will it all this be transparent to existing Access queries/forms/reports.

Thanks in advance,

Prem Received on Thu Dec 30 2004 - 21:41:45 CST