Re: Exporting a table from Microsoft Access to Oracle gives error ORA 972

From: tojo <tojo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:41:32 +0100

In article <1104464505.854755.232940_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com says...

> DA Morgan wrote:
> > premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > I am using Microsoft Access 2000 and Oracle 9.2.0.5 on Windows
> 2000.
> > > When I export a table from Access to Oracle using ODBC
> > > I get error:
> > > ORA 972 identifier too long
> > >
> > > I think the error is because one or more columns in Access table
> > > are longer than 30 characters. My question is how one can overcome
> this
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I also see several column names which have /, ? or spaces in name
> > > but I think Oracle somehow takes care of that by putting names
> inside
> > > quoted string? I am just guessing, I am new to Access to Oracle
> > > mapping.
> > >
> > > Any help will be greatly appreciated? Is there anyway I can
> > > create a table in oracle with 30 characters max long name
> > > and then map them to Access long names somehow?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot,
> > >
> > > Prem
> >
> > Rename the columns.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > University of Washington
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
>

> Thanks, If you are suggesting renaming columns in Access I inherited
> Access
> from someone and many queries/forms/reports have already been written.
> I am moving Access tables into Oracle, however, Access front End will
> still be used.
>
> I would think that I can somehow rename original Access Table, rename
> its column names so table can be exported in Oracle. I can then link
> Oracle table in Access. I should then be able to create a view using
> Create query.
> View Name will be name of original Access Table and Columns Names
> original column name.

That won't work because your queries/forms/reports are probably looking for a table called "X", not a query called "X". It's not transparent in Access, like it is in Oracle. I would start Googling for Access tools that help you rename tables and columns.