Re: 2 GB myth

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:39:09 GMT

On 2004-11-30, GreyGeek <jkrepsfox_at_foxrev.state.ne.us> wrote:
> zeb wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can I use safely datafile larger than 2 GB ?

        You can never tell when your some obscure part of your toolchain might not be fully 64-bit. I've gotten bit by this occassionally with the 64-bit version of Solaris. Unless you are just dying to use big files, why bother?

>> I know it is a file system limitation not oracle limitation,
>> now on recent filesystem there is no such limitation.
>>
>> Is this a "psychologic" limitation ?
>> Is there any known bugs ?
>> perfomance pb ?
>> management ?
>>
>> Can I go safely with this ??
>>
>> oracle 8i, 9i
>> AIX 4, 5
>> HP-UX 11.0
>
> My own experience, trying to create a backup archive of RHEL3, is that the
> 2GB file limit is not a myth. I was attempting to creating an archive on a
> remote VFAT partition, which had a 2GB files size limit and received a
> message saying "Standard Input Closed. Value too large for defined data
> type", or something similar (I'm having a hard time deciphering my notes :)
[deletia]

--
	AV is a bandaid over a bulletwound.
	Linux posesses no such bulletwounds.                  / | \