Re: 2 GB myth

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 1 Dec 2004 05:35:47 -0800

snip

> > Can I go safely with this ??
> >
> > oracle 8i, 9i
> > AIX 4, 5
> > HP-UX 11.0

snip

> My own experience, trying to create a backup archive of RHEL3, is that the
> 2GB file limit is not a myth. I was attempting to creating an archive on a
> remote VFAT partition, which had a 2GB files size limit and received a
> message saying "Standard Input Closed. Value too large for defined data
> type", or something similar (I'm having a hard time deciphering my notes :)

Original poster asked for opinions on AIX and HP UX.

HPUX doesn't have issues with database files going over 2 gig. Dont know about AIX. On hpux 11.11 I have a bunch of datafiles at 10 gig (raw emc) and more, works fine using rman no problems at all.

Grey your response starts talking about RHEL3 and remote VFAT. Seems like it has drifted far away from the original question or at least the environments mentioned in the original post.

If I understand your point (perhaps I dont) it seems to me that creating an archive that is over 2 gig could cause several different issues in almost any environment.

From my perspective, creating database data files over 2 gig is fine if you know your environment and have done your homework.

Creating an online redo log over 2 gig ... hmmm that's a new and different thought. I tend to keep my online logs a "reasonable size" whatever that means usually between 100 and 500 meg.

Maybe on systems with tremendous volume? Received on Wed Dec 01 2004 - 07:35:47 CST