Re: Oracle 10g (ASM vs Veritas Clustered FS)

From: <jeff_vosburg_at_aliases.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:38:49 GMT

In comp.unix.solaris Access <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does ASM have any value if the filesystems are mounted on SAN devices, and
> the i/o load management is done by the storage processors of the SAN box ?

From what I've read, ASM isn't a filesystem like UFS or VxFS. It is a raw volume but it can be accessed from many systems on the SAN.

So SysA, SysB & SysC all access the same LUNs and can read/write to them. ASM handles it all.

I've used clustered filesystems (QFS & Adic's CentraVision) before that do this but from what I"m reading about ASM it appears to be a clustered volume (not FS).

Is that the case? Or is there an actual filesystem we define as 'asm' in /etc/vfstab that gets mounted by all hosts?

Thanks for the feedback so far, it is appreciated. I agree that having one vendor to go to for support is a big factor in moving this way.

And yes, our DBAs should be fired :-) Received on Wed Dec 29 2004 - 20:38:49 CST