Re: DB2/400 <--> Oracle Questions

From: <google_at_righteoussoftware.com>
Date: 22 Dec 2004 12:21:14 -0800

I have experience with generic connectivity (Oracle Heterogeneous Join Configuration) connecting Oracle to DB2/400 via ODBC.

I am also using this method to connect Oracle to Teradata and Oracle to MS SQL Server.

It works fine for me. Opening the connection incurs a bit of a delay, but once it's open performance is good. I don't have any complaints.

You can pass through native SQL, as well, if you need something that can't be translated by ODBC.

I do not have any experience with connecting the iSeries back to Oracle, but one of the iSeries sites that I support does this. I thought they used using the Oracle Transparent Gateway on the iSeries, but that doesn't line up with your description of Oracle products, so I'm not sure of the details.

I believe RJS Software has a product that enables iSeries access to external databases, as well.

If you want more information about how to configure the heterogeneous connectivity , I am willing to share this information directly with you. My email address goes nowhere, so let me know via this newsgroup if you want me to contact you.

HTH Tom Received on Wed Dec 22 2004 - 14:21:14 CST