Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password: Logon denied

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Dec 2004 14:41:16 -0800

HARI OM wrote:
> Sorry if I was not clear.
> I have ORACLE User:Group as ORAUSR:ORAGRP.
>
> I would like to create a Instance LARRY for a user "larry". This
user
> has its own home as "/home/larry". I would like him to have access to
> LARRY Instance only...This user "larry" belongs to GROUP "ORAGRP".
>
> So, how can user "larry" access the db instance "LARRY" if the files
> are owned by user "ORAUSR".

Check the permissions on the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle executable. If you have things set up properly, you will see something like -rwsr-s--x, which means the oracle executable runs as though it were root. Then oracle can control who has access to what through its own mechanisms.

You can let oracle delegate some of the control to the OS by the use of OS authentication
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96536/ch1147.htm#REFRN10152 which basically means when they log in to oracle they don't have to enter a password.

I suspect you may be misusing the word "instance." Larry will have access to any database you give him access to. As Howard suggested, perhaps if you tell us what you are trying to accomplish we might suggest how to do it. Be sure you understand Oracle's use of the words instance, database, schema and user.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Let's see, they said it was a loan, the IRS said
it was a grant, company went bankrupt, IRS sued for fraud, court