Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password: Logon denied

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:14:47 +1100

HARI OM wrote:
> Sorry if I was not clear.
> I have ORACLE User:Group as ORAUSR:ORAGRP.
>
> I would like to create a Instance LARRY for a user "larry". This user
> has its own home as "/home/larry". I would like him to have access to
> LARRY Instance only...This user "larry" belongs to GROUP "ORAGRP".
>
> So, how can user "larry" access the db instance "LARRY" if the files
> are owned by user "ORAUSR".
>
> THANKS again!
>
> HARI OM

Because you've missed the point. *WHO* does all the inserting, updating, selecting and deleting from the database files? The Oracle *Instance*, that's who. At the direction of Larry, certainly -because he issues the SQL commands to make it happen. But Larry most certainly doesn't need to, nor should he, actually own the database files to make it happen.

I think a re-read of the Concepts guide might be in order. But in the meantime, all you need do is:

create user larry identified by XXXX;

And then:

grant dba to larry;

(Or some other more appropriate collection of privileges)

...and then Larry becomes God inside that particular database, regardless of file ownership.

And stop mucking about with group memberships. If you want Larry to be able to log on with O/S authentication, then let's sort that out later. Until then, he's a perfectly ordinary user and should be set up as per any other perfectly ordinary user. What he is then able to do inside a database is a question of what SQL you, the DBA, you issue, and nothing to do with file permissions.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Dec 21 2004 - 16:14:47 CST