Re: Oracle base

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:02:10 -0900

> And now *I'm* confused! OK,I'll admit I've not yet seen 10g. If you
> just shake it out of the box and do an installation with all defaults,
> the installer asks for a a name and full path to Oracle Home. What do
> you specify at that point? Does the installation create this db_1
> directory?

Yes, it does.

I specified ORACLE_BASE as "/opt/oracle". When I ran OUI, the default name for Oracle home was something I don't quite remember. It was maybe 8 characters and was Ora-something. I used "DOC" (Dept. of Corrections) for name of home. The default for path to home was automatically supplied as "/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1". (Note the "db_1"). I changed that to "/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/DOC" because that "db_1" didn't make any sense, and there was no real explanation that I could find in the installation docs. Since there is a possibility that another government agency may soon be sharing this Sun box with their own Oracle install, I figured it would be prudent to have an additional level below "10.1.0". For us, "DOC" is more meaningful than "db_1". I hope it doesn't bite me, later.

>If so, where is it and what's in it? Where do you find
> the such directories as bin, dbs, network, rdbms, and sqlplus ?

Presuming that, had I not modified the home path, that ".../db_1" would contain the same things that are currently present in ".../DOC", this is what's in it:

$ pwd
/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/DOC
$ ls

DOC-SOB-MAIN_NOTIS  install             nls                 root.sh
OPatch              install.platform    oc4j                slax
assistants          inventory           olap                sqlj
bin                 javavm              opmn                sqlplus
cdata               jdbc                oraInst.loc         srvm
cfgtoollogs         jdk                 oracore             sysman
config              jlib                ord                 tg4ifmx
css                 jre                 oui                 tg4ingr
ctx                 ldap                owm                 tg4sybs
dbs                 lib                 perl                tg4tera
demo                lib32               plsql               uix
diagnostics         md                  precomp             ultrasearch
dm                  mesg                racg                wwg
has                 mgw                 rdbms               xdk
hs                  network             relnotes