Re: Oracle base

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:33:41 -0600

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:50:24 -0900, "David E. Grove" <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us> wrote:

>> I see nothing random about this:
>>
>> /<mount point>/<maybe_something>/oracle <== ORACLE_BASE
>>
>> then
>>
>> $ORACLE_BASE/product/<8.1.7> <==ORACLE_HOME
>> $ORACLE_BASE/product/<9.2.1> <==ORACLE_HOME
>> $ORACLE_BASE/product/<10.?.?> <==ORACLE_HOME
>>
>> $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-1>
>> $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-1>/scripts
>> $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-1>/bdump
>> $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-1>/pfile
>> etc.
>> $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-2>
>> $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-2>/scripts
>> $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-2>/bdump
>> $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<db-2>/pfile
>> etc.
>> $ORACLE_BASE/rda <== RDA files
>> etc.
>>

>From my newby point of view that looks great, but what the OUI and
>Installation Documentation proposes is:
>
>$ORACLE_BASE/product/10.1.0/db_1 <==ORACLE_HOME
>
>Here's another interesting thing-- in the Installation docs, the "db_1" is
>NOT in italics (like "oracle_base" is). According to the typographic
>convention, that would seem to indicate that it is not a placeholder, but a
>literal value.
>
>Still a little confused,
>
>DG

And now *I'm* confused! OK,I'll admit I've not yet seen 10g. If you just shake it out of the box and do an installation with all defaults, the installer asks for a a name and full path to Oracle Home. What do you specify at that point? Does the installation create this db_1 directory? If so, where is it and what's in it? Where do you find the such directories as bin, dbs, network, rdbms, and sqlplus ?

Thanks.

Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing. Received on Tue Dec 21 2004 - 13:33:41 CST