Re: Help with hosting multiple versions of the same schema (1 per client)

From: Jack Addington <jaddington_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:25:43 GMT

Howard,

Thank you for you feedback and that link. It was a good read and definately makes sense.

As a technical solution I would agree that FGAC seems the ideal solution, hence it was on my list. Unfortuanetly , especially as a small business, dropping $48k+ CDN on Oracle enterprise will severly crimp the bottom line and frankly in our current state is not in the budget. That being said, FGAC does seem like an implementation I could implement under the covers after the fact. No one would be the wiser that I had added the additional 'company' columns to each table. In fact I might just do that in advance.

As for the 'hate-each-other-to-death customers' its less an issue of technical reasoning as it is dealing with non-IT people. It is much easier to visualize a separate schema than a secure 'view' of a shared data table. Anyhow I appreciate both yours and Joel's opinion and I agree that offering a secure box for a fee is also a very good option. I will also be calling Oracle Sales to see what they suggest or can justify.

Given then that Enterprise maybe out of the question, at least in the short-term, what would you suggest? I am starting to lean towards logging in as a single user with private synonyms and controlling more the of the security through user lookup tables

thank you very much for your time.

jack