Re: index rebuild out of space

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:05:59 GMT

"Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:4918s0l0gu3vegsvn87hu6ljs7drh7tj0a_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:11:47 GMT, "Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >I'm wondering where you got this idea of making index unusable and trying the rest of the steps?
> >Recently I've seen a lot of posters trying this and running into problems.
> >
> <snip>
> >BTW: I'm not sure if this method is supported by oracle. Thats why I ask where you read how to do this from?
> >

> >HTH
> >
> >Anurag
> >
> Making indexes unusable (after the truncate if applicable) is a
> generic way (in contrast with dropping the indexes) of handling
> indexes when a big sized load is performed on the table. After the
> load you can select the indexes and rebuild them (for instance in
> PL/SQL).
>
> What part of the method you are describing is not regular and so might
> not be supported by Oracle?
>
> Jaap.

Jaap,

I understand that this is done by a lot of folks. IIRC: The first time *I* saw this suggested was in Jonathan Lewis's "Practical oracle 8i" book. I've not seen this method being mentioned in an oracle doco.

Thats why I asked the OP where he got the idea from. Maybe he got it from a source which has listed the wrong steps (as he seems to be using it the wrong way). or maybe he saw it mentioned in oracle doco ...

Any harm in asking? :) I used the wrong word though "unsupported" ... I should have used "undocumented".

Cheers,
Anurag Received on Sat Dec 18 2004 - 11:05:59 CST