Re: index rebuild out of space

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:23:35 +0100

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:11:47 GMT, "Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>I'm wondering where you got this idea of making index unusable and trying the rest of the steps?
>Recently I've seen a lot of posters trying this and running into problems.

<snip>
>BTW: I'm not sure if this method is supported by oracle. Thats why I ask where you read how to do this from?
>

>HTH
>
>Anurag

Making indexes unusable (after the truncate if applicable) is a generic way (in contrast with dropping the indexes) of handling indexes when a big sized load is performed on the table. After the load you can select the indexes and rebuild them (for instance in PL/SQL). What part of the method you are describing is not regular and so might not be supported by Oracle?

Jaap. Received on Sat Dec 18 2004 - 04:23:35 CST