Re: OK to revoke privileges from SYS or DBA?

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:17:11 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1102486526.559982_at_yasure...
> Denis Do wrote:
>
> > On 2004-12-08, Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I won't be surprised that his paranoia eventually leads him to start naming tables using unprintable characters.
> >>

> > Good idea, BTW! :-)
> > To be serious, I truly believe that if you are dealing with DB where,
> > lets say, 1mil of CC numbers are stored - there is no such thing as
> > paranoia. I prefer paranoidal DBA, who tends to over-complicate things,
> > to someone who will blindly follow setup guide and will bring company to
> > prosecution.
> >
> > Is it good point or not? :-)
>
> Credit card numbers is a good example.
> So are design specifications for weapons systems.
> So are medical records.
> So are payroll and disciplinary records for employees.
> So are records in a law enforcement agency on ongoing investigations.
> So are records of pending and ongoing litigation at law firms.
>
> And some companies that deal with defense issues are required by law
> to not only secure specific defense related data but also data on
> secondary uses. So, for example, since Air Force 1 is a Boeing 747 ...
> by definition much of the information about 747's is classified.
>
> Being security conscious is not being paranoid. There is a word for
> people that don't understand the importance of security ... the word is
> unemployable: At least where I consult.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

ok .. now don't twist this thread into implying that I'm against security. A paranoia which leads to a dba naming his tables as unprintable characters, should actually be unemployable because that is a security measure with ZERO benefit and instead leads to a administration nightmare.

Anyone who does not agree with you is pretty much unemployable in your part of the world. You throw that statement around quite lot. I guess over time, arrogance has taken quite a strong hold over you. Wherever that is... I would not want to be employed there if questioning illogical statements there was wrong!

Anurag Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 07:17:11 CST