Re: OK to revoke privileges from SYS or DBA?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:17:12 -0800

Denis Do wrote:

> On 2004-12-08, Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I won't be surprised that his paranoia eventually leads him to start naming tables using unprintable characters.
>>

> Good idea, BTW! :-)
> To be serious, I truly believe that if you are dealing with DB where,
> lets say, 1mil of CC numbers are stored - there is no such thing as
> paranoia. I prefer paranoidal DBA, who tends to over-complicate things,
> to someone who will blindly follow setup guide and will bring company to
> prosecution.
>
> Is it good point or not? :-)

Credit card numbers is a good example.
So are design specifications for weapons systems. So are medical records.
So are payroll and disciplinary records for employees. So are records in a law enforcement agency on ongoing investigations. So are records of pending and ongoing litigation at law firms.

And some companies that deal with defense issues are required by law to not only secure specific defense related data but also data on secondary uses. So, for example, since Air Force 1 is a Boeing 747 ... by definition much of the information about 747's is classified.

Being security conscious is not being paranoid. There is a word for people that don't understand the importance of security ... the word is unemployable: At least where I consult.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington