Re: Auditing an app's SQL - How?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:42:41 -0000

"Walt" <walt_askier_at_YourShoesyahoo.com> wrote in message news:hjptd.1821$i6.717_at_news.itd.umich.edu...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
>> Of course, every normal insert will generate Redo. So make friends with
>> Log Miner, and you'll be able to see the redo your insert statements are
>> generating.
>
> Yeah, if it's successful. In my case the problem is that the insert
> statement is failing and throwing an error.* I'd like to take a look at
> the SQL that's causing the trouble. If it fails, it won't make it to the
> redo logs, right?
>
> Guess I should have said that to begin with...I'm trying to capture SQL
> statements that *fail*.
>
> *Since somebody's probably going to ask, the specific error is: '80040e3d'
> A specified type was invalid
> If I can view the SQL I can probably figure out what's wrong.

You can view the SQL and the parsing failures by setting trace, Pete describes how to do that. . I'd lay a pound to a penny though that the problem actually resides in the application code, and not the SQL per se. The error that you are getting is a Microsoft windows error (all the references I see to it are from vb programs talking to databases using OLEDB) if what I have described meets your situation try stepping through the code.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA