Re: Help writing SQL query

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:49:45 -0800

Barry Bulsara wrote:

> Look - I don't have control over the structure of the data I am using. This
> is just the way it is.
>
> What I need is a few pointers on how to contruct an SQL query to retrieve
> what I want out of the dataset. Despite what has been said earlier in the
> thread, the problem is clearly not "trivial" either
> Barry

Sorry but the problem is trivial. What you have done is to overcomplicate the entire thing repeatedly. Here's a suggestion as to how you can get useful help.

  1. The existing table structure
  2. The target table structure
  3. The mapping from existing to target

Then people would gladly help you organize the likely multiple statements required for the transformation.

You through out a red herring and have been less than cooperative in spite of the fact that numerous people have been trying to help you.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington