Re: Oracle Security Question

From: Chuck <skilover_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:56:43 -0500

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am hving real trouble with this one. Basically I've been asked to
> crack down on database security. Everyone knows all the passwords to
> all the schemas.
>
> The problem is this place has several Visual Basic applications where
> the password is hard coded into the code. This does me no good,
> because once I change the password, I need to tell the developer what
> it is......it defeats the purpose of changing the password.
>
> What options are available to me? We are running Oracle 8.1.7.3. I
> need to hide the passwords from everyone. But I'm not sure what
> options I have over a network......
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arthur

Have the application read the password from a registry key. Developers would only have access to the password of the development database. When the application gets migrated to production, it should be on a server where they don't have access to the registry. Received on Tue Dec 07 2004 - 13:56:43 CST