Re: Oracle 9i installation problems on Linux SuSE 9.2 Pro

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:09:23 GMT

Peter wrote:
> I just upgraded to SuSE Linux 9.2 professional and after having to
> reinstall some software do to a disk crash found that Oracle 9i
> database and Oracle 9i warehous builder installers would not start
> do to a missing symbol. The library libjava.so looks for __libc_wait
> version GLIBC_2.0 in libc.so.6 with link time reference and says it
> can't find it although it is there marked as "t". There is a version
> of libc.so.6 in /lib and /lib/tls.
>
> Oracle 10g and Oracle warehouse builder 10g install without problem.

Several ways to solve the problem. The easisest is to use orarun-1.8-109.5.i586.rpm which is going to add /usr/lib/libInternalSymbols.so containing __libc_wait.

The orarun package can be found in the DVD or can be downloaded from: ftp://ftp3.novell.com/partners/oracle/sles-9/orarun-1.8-109.5.i586.rpm

Before running the runInstaller make sure that the variables

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.21
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libInternalSymbols.so

are set.

You can meet another issue during the relinking phase. Oracle 9i from 9.2.0.4 needs gcc 3.x (default in suse 9.2) while the previos version needed 2.95 (you need the package gcc_old). Unfortunately I don't know the version needed for the warehouse builder.

You can follow the installation howto by Arun Singh: http://www.novell.com/products/linuxenterpriseserver/oracle/documents.html

Good luck

--
Fabrizio Magni