Re: How to become a good Oracle DBA

From: Brian Dick <bdick_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:55:23 -0500

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:06:50 -0600, Harry Boswell wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:49:45 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>

>>lsllcm_at_netease.com wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your comments.
>>>
>>> I have studied Oracle about 4 years, but I have not a chance to be a
>>> Oracle DBA. I only pratice Oracle in my computer. I have passed OCP8i.
>>> I worked as a developer and the db is oracle.
>>> Now my job is not bad. But I have a wish to be Oracle DBA. So it is
>>> conflict.
>>
>>I can not imagine any company on my part of the planet hiring you
>>to be a DBA based on what you have written. In this area you would
>>have made a good start ... but would be expected to have at least
>>5 years as a developer under your belt to be considered.

> That depends on where he/she is willing to look, and what salary they're
> willing to endure. State government in the US pays less, generally
> significantly less; and the DBA work is often not as involved as with large
> companies, since our databases are a) not as large, and b) often not as
> complex. But it's been my experience that state agencies are willing to
> accept less experience because they simply can't attract the more
> experienced DBAs with the salaries they can pay. But a junior DBA can get
> experience in those jobs.
>
> Harry Boswell

I concur. I once interviewed for a developer job at a state agency and during the first interview they asked me a lot of DBA questions. At the second interview, they said I was their most experienced "DBA" candidate and offered me a lead DBA position instead of a developer position. Received on Tue Dec 07 2004 - 08:55:23 CST