invalid username/pswd on db-link

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:10:10 -0600

Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Win2k

Recently I started getting a number of OEM alerts from one particular database. The error is a ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied. There is only one app using this db, and it connects with its own username. Since this error is showing up in the alert log, it must be happending when a db_link to a second db is accessed. That ought to be simple enough, but if I connect with SQL-Plus and issue a SELECT against the db-link, it works every time. Since the userid/pswd is part of the db-link definition, I would exect it to work every time or never.

The app is still under development and the developer has never reported a problem. If I weren't getting the OEM alerts, we'd never know there was an issue.

Ideas? Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 13:10:10 CST