Re: How to become a good Oracle DBA

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 3 Dec 2004 09:37:02 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1102031286.276082_at_yasure>...
> lsllcm_at_netease.com wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your comments.
> >
> > I have studied Oracle about 4 years, but I have not a chance to be a
> > Oracle DBA. I only pratice Oracle in my computer. I have passed OCP8i.
> > I worked as a developer and the db is oracle.
> > Now my job is not bad. But I have a wish to be Oracle DBA. So it is
> > conflict.
>
> I can not imagine any company on my part of the planet hiring you
> to be a DBA based on what you have written. In this area you would
> have made a good start ... but would be expected to have at least
> 5 years as a developer under your belt to be considered.

Different markets have different 'rules', and in my part of the country it would not be unheard of to hire someone as a junior DBA with the experience listed. Of course, simply having an OCP does not make one a reliable and truly qualified DBA, but many HR departments require such certification, and, sometimes, the IT management is just as clueless as to the worth of such certifications.

Nothing substitutes for experience, in my opinion. Not even OCP. And, to be honest, I wouldn't hire a DBA with the dearth of administrative experience reported. But some in the market here would.

Food for thought.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 11:37:02 CST