Re: log_archive_interval

From: John Wood <jwood_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:47:04 GMT

First, I would like to thankyou for all the advises you guys gave in this post.

I read in some books saying that it would be more efficient for Oracle if we can configure that the LGWR would do a log switch when CheckPoint. As the default CheckPoint timeout is 1800, does that mean we better have about 30 minutes for the log switch interval ?

I plan to have to two Archive Log destination, one will be mandatory at local drive, say drive E; the other will be optional, at a network mapped drive, say V on a different node. This is just to serve as a backup of the Archive Log files, as it is recommanded to have two different copies of archive log files. This way I don't have to back up the database using RMAN's command 'backup database plus archivelog', I just need to do 'backup database' to save some time in the backup process.

I am not a dba, but I need to administrate a system that is Oracle 9.2 on a Window 2000 Server. Thanks in advance for taking the patience to help me out.

JW.

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:41ac2aac$0$17541$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> John Wood wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > We are running Oracle 9.2 on Window 200 environment. I found that the
> > log_archive_interval for our database is set to 0. Somehow, I read some
> > book, saying that we should never set that parameter to 0.
>

> Help me out here... try for accuracy rather than quantity. Your O/S is
> Windows 2000 or Windows 2003?
>
> And the parameter of which you speak would, perhaps, be
> archive_lag_target? Or are you referring to log_checkpoint_interval?
> Because log_archive_interval doesn't actually exist.
>
> > In the normal hour of the day, I can see the redo log files get switched
at
> > around every 2 hours. When the daily script to purge some tables is
run,
> > the log files switch within a minute for two or three times. The
purging
> > deletes about 20K rows of data. I have 3 log groups; each log file is
100M
> > in size.
> >
> > The question is: do I need to specify a value for the
log_archive_interval ?