Re: log_archive_interval

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:27:13 +0000 (UTC)

I think you mean the log_checkpoint_interval.

However, there is a parameter in 9.2 which is called the archive_lag_target. This may be the one you want to set if you don't like the 2 hour delay between log file switches - specific it in seconds, and a log switch will occur that many seconds (at worst) after the previous log switch.

The log_checkpoint_interval (and log_checkpoint_timeout) no longer have the meaning they did prior to 8.1 - they specify how long a data block can stay on the dirty queue before dbwr will have to write it out - the 'interval' measures in terms of redo blocks, the 'timeout' measures in seconds.

You may find that you have a default of 1800 seconds on the timeout. Modifying this will change the general background rate at which dbwr trickles blocks to disc, hence the impact of clearing the data buffer at checkpoints.

If you have "archiver not complete" warnings in the alert log, then it is perfectly reasonable to increase the number of redo log groups until they stop happening. You may also want to increase the size of the log files to reduce the frequency of log switches during the intense periods anyway.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th