Re: Optimal values in init.ora file

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:13:32 +1100

ejsanchez_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm trying to optimize my init.ora file.

[snip]

> Is there a simple formula to set this values? depending on how much RAM
> & Processor I have?

Yes. It's called 'learn how to performance tune!'. :-)

In other words, no: there's no easy answers, shortcuts, formulae or tricks. Certain big authors claim there are, but on closer inspection those claims are based on dreams about how future hardware will evolve, and unlimited amounts of cash with which to buy it.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, we use SQL tracing, Statspack, Enterprise Manager Top Sessions, Wait Event analysis, Oracle Expert and so on to achieve an opimised instance.

Regards
HJR