Re: non-existent DBA job market?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2004 13:49:51 -0800

peter_at_peternolan.com (Peter Nolan) wrote in message news:<f4f21ef3.0411300250.788a18b5_at_posting.google.com>...

> Hi Have a lovely Google,
> My experience is that oracle requires a lot more time/effort to
> support than other databases. (Some here might find that a little
> contentious...)

True enough, although the contention arises when you try to factor in what the other databases can't do, can't do properly, or make strange assumptions about who will do them.

> And everywhere I have traveled in the world (US, Europe, South Africa,
> Middle East, and Asia Pacific) there is a healthy DBA market for GOOD
> Oracle DBAs. (BAD Oracle DBAs struggle to find work, as they should.)

And how does a company determine good from bad? OCP? See the latest round of "DBA Interview Questions" on oracle-l.

> The only place I can't be sure of is South America, never been
> there...;-)
>
> As far as I can tell, being a GOOD Oracle DBA is as close to 'lifetime
> employment' you are going to get in the IT industry.
>
> 'Non existant DBA Market'?? Haven't seen it yet.

Saw it after the dot.bomb and 9/11. Also in the '80s.

IME, enough companies still don't know what good a DBA is that it is often worthwhile to use a different label.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I think [Supreme Court Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist] would find