Re: non-existent DBA job market?

From: Peter Nolan <peter_at_peternolan.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2004 02:50:08 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0411291729.37f733_at_posting.google.com>...
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1101677205.349012_at_yasure>...
> > Have a lovely Google wrote:
> >
> > > Is this true?? I saw this in a web article for DatabaseJournal;
> > >
> > > This is the second of a two-part series about how you can become an
> > > Oracle DBA in today's almost non-existent DBA job market.
> > >
> > > (I see a lot of job ads on Dice and so on for DBA's. This comes as a
> > > surprise to me. Any comments??
> >
> > <speaking solely about the Pacific Northwest of the US>
> > There is a market for DBAs.
> > There is no market for DBAs that have less experience than a senior
> > developer
> > </speaking solely about the Pacific Northwest of the US>
>
> Advice propagates to Southern California.
>
> "Dice and so on" do have a significant amount of duplicates and
> dream-ons.
>
> jg

Hi Have a lovely Google,
My experience is that oracle requires a lot more time/effort to support than other databases. (Some here might find that a little contentious...)

And everywhere I have traveled in the world (US, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, and Asia Pacific) there is a healthy DBA market for GOOD Oracle DBAs. (BAD Oracle DBAs struggle to find work, as they should.)

The only place I can't be sure of is South America, never been there...;-)

As far as I can tell, being a GOOD Oracle DBA is as close to 'lifetime employment' you are going to get in the IT industry.

'Non existant DBA Market'?? Haven't seen it yet.

Best Regards

Peter Nolan Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 04:50:08 CST