Re: cannot delete entry from spfile

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 04:54:55 +1100

Ed Stevens wrote:

> Gen it to a pfile, edit to your heart's content, then gen it back to a
> spfile. I leave the syntax details to the student as homework.

I'll reply to you Ed, but I see you are not alone.

There is zero need to convert to a pfile to edit out (ie, remove) the deprecated parameter, given that it has not prevented him from at least starting his instance.

The command people should apparently be a little more familiar with is:

alter system reset max_enabled_roles scope=spfile sid='*' ;

(And the "sid=" clause is required, even though the value specified is, in this case, the default in any case!).

In a world where converting to a pfile might not actually remain an option for ever and ever, it might be a good idea to know how to work with spfiles 'natively'.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 11:54:55 CST