Re: cannot delete entry from spfile

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:38:10 -0600

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 04:54:55 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>

>> Gen it to a pfile, edit to your heart's content, then gen it back to a
>> spfile. I leave the syntax details to the student as homework.
>
>I'll reply to you Ed, but I see you are not alone.
>
>There is zero need to convert to a pfile to edit out (ie, remove) the
>deprecated parameter, given that it has not prevented him from at least
>starting his instance.
>
>The command people should apparently be a little more familiar with is:
>
>alter system reset max_enabled_roles scope=spfile sid='*' ;
>
>(And the "sid=" clause is required, even though the value specified is,
>in this case, the default in any case!).
>
>In a world where converting to a pfile might not actually remain an
>option for ever and ever, it might be a good idea to know how to work
>with spfiles 'natively'.
>
>Regards
>HJR
Point taken. I was pretty sure there was a more direct method, but having not made the move to spfiles myself I wasn't sure about how. Actually, the 'homework' assignment would have been to me as well, had I been faced with the OP's problem, though I might have searched the docs a bit more for the direct method. Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 12:38:10 CST