Re: Upgrading 8i to 10g drama

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:58:09 +1100

[snip]

http://tahiti.oracle.com

> Do I _have_ to have 8i installed in order to upgrade a database to
> 10g?

Yup. Unless you choose to export data out from 8i and import into a virgin 10g database.

> May Fedora Core 2 be the root of my troubles.

No, in this case the root of your troubles is your willingness to "experiment"! (If I wrote up and said I'd pulled data files from a Windows box and copied them to a Unix box, I hope you'd see that I was going nowhere very fast. Your situation is analagous).

> Would I be better of
> with RH9 or Fedora Core 1? (I am about to order RH AS3, but would like
> to get closer to production date first (money talks)).

You are better off with a free version of RHAS3. It's called White Box Linux. You won't want the virtual bit, but this article may be of interest: http://www.dizwell.com/html/virtual_oracle__linux_.html

HJR Received on Mon Nov 29 2004 - 21:58:09 CST