Re: RAID 5 vs RAID 10 benchmark

From: Jan <janik_at_pobox.sk>
Date: 29 Nov 2004 00:52:21 -0800

Thank you for your comments.
I did read maybe all these papers about RAID (BAARF etc.) before posting so I had no intention to provoke another general debate about all the already said points again (costs, "what if" scenarios etc...).

I`m sorry that I was not exact enough about my question. What I wanted to know is that:

If a write intensive database is placed on RAID 5 and there are some performance problems due to IO, and I have this set of parameters:

  1. I have one logical volume from the storage like mentioned in above benchmark (IBM ESS 800)
  2. I have to put all the database files (redo, archive redo, dbf, controlfiles) on this volume only.
  3. No application design to reduce logical IO is possible etc.

Question: Will be helpful to change from RAID 5 to RAID 10 to reduce the performance problems significantly? Please note that I cannot test the impacts and it (change from RAID 5 to RAID 10) will not be without costs.

What I have up now is the only conclussions comming:

  1. from BAARF, and saying YES, it will help,
  2. from the mentioned IBM benchmark, and saying NO, it will not help

Regards, Jan