Re: Make Oracle AR applications working read-only

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 28 Nov 2004 23:36:30 -0800

"IANAL_VISTA" <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns95AFBD5AE7F87SunnySD_at_68.6.19.6>...
> "SW" <flyhorse_127_at_hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > This way, nobody can log in except those with the 'restricted'
> > privilege. And Those with 'restricted' will still be able to make
> > changes. This is not what I want.
>
> IMO,
> If the DB is "online", somebody will ALWAYS be able to make changes.
> Otherwise you'll be left with a DB that is permanently READ ONLY!
>
> It sounds like somebody is a prime candidate to replace the PHB in Dilbert.

It seems to me like the reason for this is poorly prepared migration process, so they are going to suffer from too long data loss time period. There are ways how to migrate even quite big systems with a minimal outage and guaranteed zero data loss. Using them they will not face the mentioned problem with read only requirement.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.